Pouring out the oil

Pouring out the oil

This weekend, I decided how to learn how to do a simple job on the beetle – how to change the oil. To my knowledge, the oil hadn’t been changed on the bug for awhile, and I could easily tell by the color of the black oil it had on the engine dipstick. Turns out … Continue reading

All patched up!

All patched up!

Unfortunately due to lack of time after school and assignments, finding the time to go down to the shop to learn about welding the car was impossible. Since we do want to get the car painted over this upcoming break, we needed to finish up all the body work on the car as well as … Continue reading

Going to the shop

Going to the shop

Now that the bug is almost completely gutted, it’s time to take it in to patch it up a bit. We managed to get a trailer from my Dad’s work in order to transport the VW Bug to the shop where there are welding supplies available. The bug got to the shop safe and sound, … Continue reading

Gutting the bug – part 3

Gutting the bug – part 3

Stripping down and gutting the Volkswagen is taking longer than I originally expected, so I assume that most of my other posts in the coming weeks will be about tearing apart the beetle for paint, which is okay! I’ve been learning a lot about the different components of the car and how each little piece … Continue reading

Gutting the bug – part 2

Gutting the bug – part 2

I have been gradually working on the teardown of the beetle as it needs to be a complete empty shell when the body shop receives it to shoot if for paint and to further treat out some of the other body work that needs to be done. I began with taking out some of the … Continue reading

Gutting the bug – part 1

Gutting the bug – part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZO7OB9Jbb0&safe=active

With all of my mentor and senior project paperwork signed off and ready, it’s time to really start digging into this project! Since the bug will need to be gutted down to it’s shell for paint and body work, I need to get started on taking away some of the exterior components. I began with what I could today as my mentor agreed to help me take out all the electrical components and the tricky stuff out of the car later. As I began gutting the bug of some of the exterior assemblies such as the headlights, bumpers, and seat belts, I began to take note on what parts I would need to replace, such as the bolts on the bumpers that were rusted through and didn’t fit in with the bumper. I also discovered that a new headlight assembly would be needed for the left headlight. In the next work day, I hope to have my mentor help me take apart all the electrical components and even the motor later on. I also need to buy bins to store all the parts I rip off the bug for later use.

Continue reading

Quick updates

Quick updates

I have gotten in all of my Senior Project paperwork, and I now officially have my mentor, Peter Opraski. Peter is a neighbor and friend of my dad and I, and has agreed to help us out! He’s a mechanic who specializes a lot on european cars and has been in the business for 35+ … Continue reading

More scrubbing and rust removal

More scrubbing and rust removal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hKZx20WZjI&safe=active

Went back to scrubbing the body pans in the passenger area of the car. Before I can do any more mechanic work or even send it off to get it painted, I need to make sure the rust spots are treated. I also wanted to wash the underside of the car at a car wash nearby with some degreaser, so in order to do that I needed to install the battery and get it running. I bought a steel brush extension for my drill in order to have the process go buy much quicker than what I was doing before with the hand tools. I proceeded to vigorously scrub off the remaining rust off the battery pan of the car and also began working on taking the old glue off the luggage compartment of the car. This process took all day and a lot of patience went into this job. At the end of the day, I sprayed on some rust reformer in order to treat the small rust remaining and to prevent any other rust from forming again. With everything all cleared up in the battery tray area, it was time to put in the battery! The battery went in fine but we found some trouble when it came to starting up the car as it wasn’t started in a while. We also had problems with the electrics of the car as the lights were really dim and low. As a result we couldn’t drive the car in the dark, so we decided to wash it out in the driveway. In the next week, I will be meeting with my mentor in order to figure out my next possible steps and to figure out a list of everything the car needs (parts wise) for the restoration to be complete.

Continue reading

Battery pan refinishing

Battery pan refinishing

Before the weekend rolled around, I wanted to refinish some of the smaller pieces of the car that go into the battery pan. One of those pieces was a really rusted, beat up pan that goes underneath the battery to prevent the battery acid from dripping onto the actual pan of the car. Since this … Continue reading